Are you looking for gift ideas to say 'Thanks' to your kid's or your favorite coach who is with you every drill, turn, shot and score of the way? Below is a detailed list of ice hockey coach gifts for you to choose from, useful at the rink or in everyday life. Plus, some can be personalized to show your coach how special he/she is!
This article may contain affiliate Links (info on the Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Gifts for hockey coaches - when, what... Etiquette
Like for a favorite teacher, wanting to say thank you to a coach is a nice gesture.
First things first, don't forget to SAY THANK YOU. This is the most important. On top of that, you/your kid can offer a gift (discreetly not in front of the other players if this is a not a group gift) for:
- End of season
However, if it is a gift from only one skater, it should remain small.
Know that some coaches are uncomfortable receiving expensive gifts. Accepting those will have an impact on ethics perception.
The thought is what counts the most.
Best hockey Coach gift ideas - useful + personalized (or not)
Ice hockey coach gifts to use at the rink
Let's start with present ideas that can be very useful at the hockey rink.
I would not offer new equipment such as guards or soakers, unless you really know that the coach needs some. But there are many other items that can be useful and personalized!
- A Towel to dry out blades - this is an essential hockey coach accessory, and yet it is often a very boring piece of fabric. You can offer a more inspiring one!
- A Water Bottle to keep hydrated at the rink - it is very important to drink water, especially if you need to shout a lot to be heard from the players through the helmets!
- A Travel Mug - for the coach to keep his/her drink warm at the rink
- A Scarf or a Vest - The skater is moving a lot and keeping warm, but the coach is often standing still looking at the skater. It can be very cold for him/her
- A Clipboard - if your coach likes to keep notes or to draw the routines while on the ice, a clipboard is really practical, and even better if personalized!
- A special coach board to be able to draw positions and strategies and explain strategies to the players
- A whistle with a hockey design
- Hand warmers - same as before, it gets really cold for a coach so hand warmers to keep in his/her pockets can be really appreciated (there are rechargeable ones or single use packs)
Personalized ice skating coach gifts to use for his / her coaching business
Being an ice hockey coach is also a business. There are some useful items that can be used to work around the rink times.
- A mouse pad to be surrounded by his/her passion while using the computer
- A personalized pen, a nice small gift that is always very useful
- A planner to keep track of all the lessons and skaters
- A binder to organize documents about players, strategies or invoices
- A notebook to keep track of the progress of the team or write down ideas,
- A personalized luggage tag to place on his/her luggage for competitions or his/her skate bag
- A bumper sticker to advertise on his/her car LOL
- A way to personalize his/her office: a hockey puck or a door sign
Gifts for Home / Car
And then you can also choose something more discrete (not for the rink), that will be used by your coach only in his/her home and car
- A Mug for drinking coffee or tea in the morning
- A Pillow to decorate the sofa
- A Magnet for a reminder on the fridge
- A Keychain to carry a reminder of your "thank you" everywhere around
- A personalized air freshener for his/her car
- A bumper sticker to show the world who is the best coach ever!
- A puck bottle opener,
- And for a Christmas gift, maybe an ice skating Ornament
Simple can be best... hockey coach thank you cards & self-made ideas!
But if your budget is limited, know that often, the most thoughtful gifts for coaches are the simple ones.
- A lot of coaches say that they really enjoy thank you cards and they keep them all, especially if the player has made the effort to write a personalized note inside.
- They also mention enjoying receiving pictures of their players to keep on their desk or for photo albums
- And finally, why not cook something! Homemade cookies or candies show that you have made an effort and if he/she enjoys food, you should get a big smile
- A little sticker can also be a nice option
Non-game related - Ice hockey coach gifts
However, it is not mandatory to offer a gift related to the coach status. I just personally like it better, which is why the emphasis is on those.
If your coach has been around for a long time, he/she can already have a lot of items. So, you can be lost thinking about what can be useful...
This is where the gift cards can be a good idea - This way you are sure the coach can find something he/she really wants at:
- The favorite brand shop,
- The favorite coffee shop,
- The favorite lunch spot,
Group gifts for your hockey coach
If you decide to give a gift as a team, then you can offer a bigger gift if everyone contributes.
In that case the gift ideas are infinite, and you need to know what the coach likes such as:
- A barbecue,
- A stationary bike,
- An experience such as a special diner at a high-end restaurant
You might also be interested in: