Are you planning an ice skating birthday party? I have gathered all my suggestions and ideas in this article: invitation, supplies, decors, food & activities suggestions... for a party at the rink or with just the ice skating theme but off the ice. Have fun!
Note this is for a figure skating party or ice dancing party - another article will be published for a hockey birthday.
This article contains affiliate Links (info on the Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
1 - Location - where to have an ice skating theme party
You can have either:
- an ice skating party at the rink
- or an ice skating themed party on a lawn somewhere
At the rink
Many public ice skating rinks offer packages for birthday parties. Otherwise you can inquire about renting for a private party.
Some of them will also give you access to a private room where you can serve food.
If you choose this option, make sure you write on the invitation for kids to bring gloves and warm clothes. And make sure you have enough people good on their skates to manage the kids.
But you can also have a great ice skating birthday without the ice. There is a lot of logistics to take care with all the kids at the rink. So, it might be easier off-ice.
All the decors and activities can be related to ice skating. A lot of the kids will enjoy it more as they will be more confident on the ground. Interactions should be easier.
This is the moment to be creative! And I am going to help you in this article.
Another option is to take a few kids to an ice skating show and then enjoy a public session at the rink.
Note: if you are looking for ice skating gift ideas, check out my 50+ idea list article!
2 - Invitation - personalize your ice skating birthday party card
Once you have the location booked for a special date, you can create the invitation.
You can create it from scratch with a picture of your kid ice skating, or you can consider all these great pre-created templates where you can update the information with the name, age, date, location...
A lot of people have had imagination to create cute or modern invitation. I have selected a few of them for you, so have a look:
Ice skating party invitations for young girls at the rink
Those invitations include the fact that kids will be skating.
Ice skating party invitations for young girls that can happen off the ice
In the following invitations, you can just change the location and it does not have to be on the ice.
Figure skating party invitations for tween or teen
If you are organizing a party for a girl a little older, here are some options that should be more appropriate. You can personalize them too.
Ice skating party invitations for boys
And let's not forget the boys. They can have ice skating parties too and they don't have to be hockey parties. Below are some options for them:
3 - Decor - Figure skating party ideas
Now let's talk decoration. If it is at the rink, you will not be able to decorate much unless you have a private room as well.
But if it is off the ice, this is when you can let your imagination run wild to decorate.
And you will also have the supplies that we will see in the next step.
Let's start with balloons and other decorations that you can create specifically for the occasion, and that you can personalize:
Items you can reuse
You can also add touches to the room or space with elements which are a little more expensive but that you can later use to decorate a room: posters, pillows, 3D lamp
3 - Supplies - Ice-skating birthday plates, napkins, glasses...
Packs already ready on Amazon
Personalized plates and napkins
Options for a boy figure skater
5 - Food - Ice skating party ideas for food
Whether you are at the rink or off the ice, you will have to provide food if you are hosting yourself.
You don't have to be creative here. You can stay with typical food that children love.
The cake is where you can bring the ice skating theme as a decor.
Here are a few items you can use on your cake:
Or you can also decorate cookies or cupcakes with snowflakes or ice skates on them, or directly in the shape of a skate.
6 - Games and activities - let's have fun!
Games on the ice
If your party is at the rink, you can break the free skating time with a few games:
- Freeze skate - the kids are skating with a music, and when the music stops, they must freeze (which is a lot harder when skating than on the ground). They are eliminated if they keep moving.
- Ice skating races - individual or with a relay
- Ice skating obstacle course - you can set up cones, hoops and bars where kids have to step over or turn around
- Skate chain / Conga line - kids form a line with hands around the waist of the kid in front of them - the front skater will increasingly accelerate and take sharper turns.
Ice skating games off the ice
You can either find games with ice skating theme on them, on imagine ice-skating pretend games:
- If you have a trampoline, they can practice jumps over 1 turn
- Or you can also practice jumps just on a flat surface - try to turn as much as possible
- Do some roller skating
- Practice balance - by standing on one foot in different positions (increase the difficulty as the game progresses - flamingo, arabesque, sitting spin position...) - the first one to fall or put the foot down looses
- Slide board - You can also purchase a practice equipment that your ice skater can later use: a slide board - kids can first have fun sliding from side to side
- or they can simply play cards or enjoy a puzzle with the ice skating theme. Below are some examples
7 - Favors - Thank you small gifts
Here are some ideas for favors to give to your guests:
- Ice skating coloring books
- Entrance tickets to the ice rinks
And for the ice skater invited to the party:
- Leg warmers
- Skate charms
Get them it on Amazon
And you can place them in a favor box with the theme of your decoration: